Veterinary Services and Animal Models
Please see the individual resource websites for contact information. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please
contact Bruce D. Koch, PhD
Veterinary Services & Animal Models
Animal husbandry and veterinary care. Generation of animal models. Testing the effect of perturbants and/or genetic changes in behavioral, disease, and pharmacological models.
- Description — Fly food and media for various School of Medicine labs: fly bottle; dextrose rack; molasses rack; fly cage; small, medium, large, and xl caps; fly house collection; seeded bottles.
- Location — Beckman B367
- Questions — Contact Todd Galitz , (650) 725-7659
- Website — http://flycenter.stanford.edu
Stanford Behavioral and Functional Neuroscience Lab (SBFNL)
- Description — Stanford behavioral and functional neuroscience laboratory (SBFNL) will provide expertise in all aspects related to the design and implementation of behavioral experiments as well as data analysis and interpretation. The core is fully equipped to accommodate a full battery of behavioral tests relevant to learning and memory, sensory gating, place/fear conditioning, motor function, nociception, and anxiety-related behaviors. We are specialized in genetic and pharmacological phenotyping in both mouse and rat. In addition the center provides expertise in an array of acute and chronic experimental models of neurodegenerative disorders such as stroke and ischemic brain injury.
- Location —
- Questions — Contact Mehrdad Shamloo, PhD , (650) 725-3152
- Website — http://sbfnl.stanford.edu/
- Selected References
Mouse model of Timothy syndrome recapitulates triad of autistic traits. Bader PL, Faizi M, Owen SF, Tadross MR, Alfa RW, Bett GCL, Tsien RW, Rasmusson RL, Shamloo M. PNAS (2011; in press). PubMedID: 21878566; PMCID: PMC3174658
Identification of a central role for complement in osteoarthritis. Wang Q, Rozelle AL, Lepus CM, Scanzello CR, Larsen DM, Crish JF, Bebek G, Ritter SY, Tamsin M. Lindstrom TM, Hwang I, Wong HH, Punzi L, Encarnacion A, Shamloo M, Goodman SB, Tony Wyss-Coray T, Goldring SR, Gobezie R, Crow MK, Holer VM, Lee DM and Robinson WH. Nature Medicine (2011; in press). PubMedID: 22057346.
Restoration of Norepinephrine-Modulated Contextual Memory in a Mouse Model of Down Syndrome. Salehi A, Faizi M, Colas D, Valletta J, Laguna J, Takimoto-Kimura R, Kleschevnikov A, Wagner SL, Aisen P, Shamloo M and Mobley WC. Sci Transl Med 18 November 2009: Vol. 1, Issue 7, p. 7ra17. PubMedID: 20368182.
Transgenic, Knockout and Tumor Model Center (TKTC)
- Description — Mouse models for gene of interest: transgenic mouse production; targeted ES cell clone production; chimeric mouse production; sperm/embryo cryopreservation; strain rederivation; xenograft tuomr models; drug dosing; toxicity studies.
- Location — CCSR 0137
- Questions — Contact Hong Zeng, PhD , (650) 724-9556
- Website — http://med.stanford.edu/transgenic/
- Selected References
Site-specific recombinase strategy to create induced pluripotent stem cells efficiently with plasmid DNA. Karow M, Chavez CL, Farruggio AP, Geisinger JM, Keravala A, Jung WE, Lan F, Wu JC, Chen-Tsai Y, Calos MP. Stem Cells. 2011 Nov;29(11):1696-704. PubMedID: 21898697.
Cortical representations of olfactory input by trans-synaptic tracing. Miyamichi K, Amat F, Moussavi F, Wang C, Wickersham I, Wall NR, Taniguchi H, Tasic B, Huang ZJ, He Z, Callaway EM, Horowitz MA, Luo L. Nature. 2011 Apr 14;472(7342):191-6. PubMedID: 21179085; PMCID: PMC3073090
Embryonic stem cells require Wnt proteins to prevent differentiation to epiblast stem cells. ten Berge D, Kurek D, Blauwkamp T, Koole W, Maas A, Eroglu E, Siu RK, Nusse R. Nat Cell Biol. 2011 Aug 14;13(9):1070-5. PubMedID: 21841791.
Veterinary Service Center (VSC)
- Description — The Veterinary Service Center assures that the use of animals is humane and complies with all relevant policies and legal requirements. The functions of the VSC include:
- provision of animal husbandry services
- provision of veterinary care
- Animal Diagnostic Lab
- Animal Pathology/Histology Services
- oversight of animal holding areas including laboratories where animal procedures are performed
- procurement, acquisition, and exportation of animals for research and teaching
- provision of technical services, training, and specialized facilities and equipment to facilitate animal research
- Questions — Contact Felicia Gentile, VSC Business Operations Manager , (650) 736-4335
- Website — http://vsc.stanford.edu/
- Analysis of Gene/Protein Function
- Gene Expression Profiling, Genotyping & Genomic Analysis
- Genomics Services Overview
- Patient Sample Analysis
- Preclinical Translational Services
- Structural Biology
- Veterinary Services and Animal Models